Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Irrelevance Of "Screw You": Ann Coulter Panders To Paranoia







"Screw you!" she exclaimed. "You think we don't care about the children? You're the one who won't do anything about the mentally ill."

Does Ann Coultergeist know anything about Reagan's closing of the state mental institutions in California while governor? I think not. Then again, a rant for the sake of publicity coming from her is usually groundless.

The "Screw You!" was done specifically to promote Coulter's new fill-in-the-blanks book "Mugged: Racial Demagoguery From The Seventies To Obama" on Sean Hannity's FOX program.

It's interesting to note that Amazon's listing of Coulter's book pairs it up with Greg Gutfeld's The Joy Of Hate.

Screw You! Ann Coulter!!!

That's the reaction of much of the country to Coulter's scream, since answering back the Coultergeist is a lesson infertility: her hard-as-steel ego is impervious to reason, especially if it comes from anyone slightly liberal. The biggest fault in her rant came when she said:

"The only way to enforce a universal -- the last 0.1 percent of guns that are transferred by collectors and so on is to have universal gun registration," she added. "Universal background check means universal registration, universal registration means universal confiscation, universal extermination. That is how it goes in history. Do not fall for universal background checks."
The jump from registration to confiscation is the kicker, the pandering to paranoia.

I often wonder why gun nuts and the NRA balk at registration and licensing of guns like cars: cars are more lethal than guns in this country, but at least drivers are required to have registration, pass a driver's test, get a license, get plates and have insurance. So here's where Coulter's line of reasoning falls apart: does universal car registration automatically mean universal confiscation of cars? OK. Apples and oranges, you might say, but the fact of the matter is that no one had ever even intimated that registration would be used to confiscate guns. It's never, ever been discussed in Congress. Any confiscation would be done under the aegis of a crime.

Paranoia wins out!


Anti-gun control paranoia has seldom listened to reason. Just read this short bit of prose that promises to be as profound as a rock (emphasis mine)
I don’t carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.
I don’t carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
I don’t carry a gun because I’m paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.
I don’t carry a gun because I’m evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.
I don’t carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.
I don’t carry a gun because I’m angry.
I carry a gun so that I don’t have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.
I don’t carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.
I don’t carry a gun because I’m a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.
I don’t carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.
I don’t carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.
I don’t carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
Police protection is an oxymoron.
Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.
Personally, I carry a gun because I’m too young to die and too old to take a butt whoopin’.


"I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid." Right.

As a man who lived in one of the worst neighborhoods riddled with gang violence for over five years, I can safely say that I never thought of carrying a gun - ever. Paranoia never took hold. It did not take hold in the apartment building where I lived (even though there were 6 homicides in front of it during those years). We made our children as safe as possible (I started an after-school program, keeping them inside and aiding their education), but never promoted the paranoia that you see today in screams coming from the likes of the Coultergeist.

Ann Coulter has been irrelevant for years. Sean Hannity has been irrelevant for years. Only people who want to hear about paranoia listen to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment